In the 12th to 13th centuries, during the reign of King Gebre Mesqel Lalibela, the Church of St George was hewn from a single block of stone, one of 11 monolithic churches in Lalibela, Ethiopia.
In 1534, Martin Luther met a representative of the Ethiopian church, Michael the Deacon and found much agreement in doctrine:
Recalling his dialogue with Michael, Luther stated: “We have also learned from him, that the rite which we observe in the use of administration of the Lord’s Supper and the Mass, agrees with the Eastern Church.” Luther expressed his approval of the Church of Ethiopia along with his embrace of Deacon Michael in a letter dated July 4, 1534: “For this reason we ask that good people would demonstrate Christian love also to this Ethiopian visitor.” According to Luther, Michael responded positively to his articles of the Christian faith, proclaiming: “This is a good creed, that is, faith”.
These are great reminders that the world is much bigger than we generally think it is. From our parochialism (but not from our parishes), deliver us, O Lord.